Thursday, June 23, 2011

It's been too long...

Holy crow, it's been a long time. I apologize sincerely for my absence. The past few months have been busy but very exciting. Allow me to take a moment to get you up to speed...

1. I turned 21! Yes, this past May, I entered the realm of the legally drinking. I had gone to bars in Italy, so I thought that it wouldn't be a big deal, but I was wrong. Turning 21 is like pulling back the big red velvet curtain that had been blocking your view for the first two decades of life. It opens up a whole new world of socializing and drinking. I can't tell you how illuminating it has been to go out and see that Philadelphia night life is not just North Philly house parties. It has made the chances that I would stay here after college rise significantly.


2. I got an internship! I have been looking for internships since my freshman year. I now realize I started too early, but that did not occur to me then. Anyway, now I have one, and it's one that I love. It is at the Philadelphia Film Society, which hosts the Philadelphia Film Festival. Yes -- FILM FESTIVAL!!! I am the co-volunteer coordinator for the festival and, being that we work in such a small office, I'm sure that I will learn tons of other things about the workings of a film fest. It's incredibly exciting. I also work with a completely awesome group of people -- interns and "real people" alike. For the summer, we have various events and screenings at which I also work and see films. So, in addition to my volunteer coordinator responsibilities, I am seeing movies for course credit. The only thing better would be if I were also moonlighting as an ice-cream taster.

3. I am producing a film! This is my first foray into production. Usually I try just to sit alone, scribbling screenplays, but my writing teacher suggested that I produce last year's project. So I am! My teacher got me in touch with other students to direct and help produce, so I'm starting out with a great team that will hopefully be patient with me as I muddle through role of 'co-producer.' Anyway, the film is called Guests of a Nation. It is based on Irish author Frank O'Connor's short story about Irish soldiers and their British captives during the Irish War of Independence. The story is beautiful and we're doing all we can to make sure the film is too.
Follow us on twitter! @Guestsofanation Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/guestsofanation

No comments:

Post a Comment